Whether it be business or leisure, Dublin Central Inn is the perfect location for your city break or a longer stay alike. Dublin Central Inn is situated in the heart of Dublin City, within a stone’s throw of the Dublin’s best attractions, restaurants, theatres and bars. Put simply, the location couldn’t be more central!
The property is located on Talbot Street, Dublin 1, just off O'Connell Street in the heart of Dublin City. This location is serviced by many of Dublin's best shops, theatres and tourist attractions.
There is literally an abundance of transport options right at our doorstep. The local area enjoys excellent public transport links. Most of Dublin Bus routes are within easy access that serve the majority of Dublin City. The Marlborough Luas Stop (Tram) is around 200m away. The Air Coach service is conveniently located nearby with regular services to Dublin Airport.
TALBOT STREET HISTORY
The street we know today as Talbot Street emerged in the early 19th Century and it reflected the style and design of that time. The Wide Street Commission was doing important work redesigning the centre of Dublin, it was shifting the city’s axis eastward and creating the broad boulevards that we know today like Dame Street, Westmoreland Street and D’Olier Street.
The Chief commissioner of the Commission was a man named John Beresford who was brother-in-law to Luke Gardiner whose family owned huge tracts of land in the North of city. These lands, known as the Gardiner Estate, included the area we know today as Talbot Street and the wider Gardiner family gave their name to many of the streets we know in the area today, such as Gardiner Street, Mountjoy Square, and Montgomery Street (now Foley Street), which infamously became known as the “Monto” red light district during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
One of the earliest developers in the area was Henry Moore, the Earl of Drogheda, who in the late 17th Century developed the upper end of what we know today as O’Connell Street, as well as Henry Street and North Earl Street, modestly deciding to name all the streets after himself. The earliest incarnation of Talbot Street was known as North Cope Street and had such lovely attractions as the Cow Pock Institution, which opened in 1804 to treat sufferers of Cow Pox. A fairly horrible contagious disease that could be transmitted from livestock to humans!
The more modern Talbot Street appears on William Duncan’s map from 1821 and the area sees some rapid development over the next few decades. In 1846 Connolly Train station (then known simply as Amiens Street station) opened its doors. It was constructed for the Drogheda and Dublin Railway Company and was the first of the four major Dublin Railway stations to be built. The commanding central tower of the station can be seen the length of Talbot Street as far down as O’Connell Street. This was followed with the prominent railway bridge that cuts across Talbot Street in 1891. The area became, over time, even more of a transport hub when the Busáras station opened on Store Street in 1953 and then in 2004 the Luas Red line started to run with stops on Lower Abbey Street, Store Street and at Connolly Station. The area is now arguably the most well connected area for transport in the country which explains one of the reasons that it is so popular with visitors with a proliferation of hotels and backpacker hostels in the district such as the Dublin Central Inn, Ripley Court, Isaac’s hostel and The Celtic Lodge.
A number of bus companies operate between Dublin Airport and Dublin City Centre. Dublin Bus operate a frequent Airlink service. Take route 747 towards Heuston Station via City Centre” and disembark at “Stop 620 Talbot Street”. Other less frequent Dublin Bus routes to the city centre include routes 16 and 41.
A private company - Aircoach operate a regular service every 15 minutes which costs €6 one way. The nearest stop to Dublin Central Inn is O’Connell Street.
Alternatively a taxi would cost approximately €25. Please ask the taxi driver to take you to 95 – 98 Talbot Street, Dublin 1. Travel time is approximately 16 minutes with no traffic but usually takes approximately 30 minutes to/from Dublin Airport. We can also arrange a taxi for our guests. Please ask at reception to book a taxi for you.
GPS coordinates: Lat 53.350364° Lon -6.256601°
Follow the signs for the city centre and take the M1 motorway towards the city. Before the Dublin Port tunnel, take the left 2 lanes to take the N1 exit towards City Centre. Continue on N1, which is also called Drumcondra Road, for 4km. Turn left onto Gardiner Street. After 1km, turn right onto Talbot Street and Dublin Central Inn will be on the left.
The car park is situated at the back of the hotel. To reach the car park, continue further and take the next left onto Marlborough Place then immediately turn left at the T Junction. Our car park entrance will be straight ahead on the left.
We offer limited onsite parking that is available to all our guests on a “first come first serve” basis. We have negotiated discounted rates at a nearby car park for our guests, which you can pay directly to the car park in the event our car park is full.